Pages

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Book Review: The Ocean At The End Of The Lane

Let me start by saying, it's been a while.  I was looking through my previous posts and saw it has been five months since my last post!  This will not do.  But I admit during those months I had a lot going on.  We just had our second child two months ago and the last couple of months of the pregnancy were physically hard on me, making it hard to focus on my thoughts and writing.  Now things are moving forward, my health is back to its normal state and we are pretty well adjusted to having another child in our lives.  Motherhood is great and amazing, but it does take a toll on personal time.  Anyhow, I'm back and ready to start posting more often again.  And I'm excited.  It feels good!


So now on the topic of this post.  Books!  I recently read The Ocean at the End of the Lane, by Neil Gaiman.  I had heard a lot of good things about this book before I picked it up for myself and I was not disappointed.  It is a shorter novel, so it goes by pretty fast.  I read it within a week which is the first time in a while I've gotten through a book in a week, and I was stoked!  But beyond my personal accomplishments, I was mostly excited because this book left me contemplating what the real message was underneath all the thrill and fantasy.  Neil has one of those imaginations that has no limits and that comes across on every page of this book.  He takes you on an adventure like nothing most people could dream up on their own.




The Ocean at the End of the Lane follows a young boy who is a bit of an outcast in his family, clinging to books more than the people in his life.  What makes it unique is that it is told from his point of view as an adult thinking back on his childhood.  The excitement starts with a terrible suicide, leading him to Lettie, and her pond in the backyard of her house at the end of the lane where she lives with her mother and grandmother.  He befriends the young girl and she takes him with her to handle some 'family business'.  This is when the action begins and she tells him more about the abilities she and her family have and what their purpose is.  She also talks a lot about the ocean - how it heals or takes things away forever, depending on its mood.  To summarize the rest without spoiling, the young boy sets events into motions when he doesn't listen to Lettie and lets a strange creature enter his world using his body as transportation.  After that, this creature sets out to make his life miserable and rip his family apart.  With Lettie's help, they attempt to tame this creature and send it back where it belongs.  But they do not escape unscathed.


It is a story of sacrifice for friendship and love of family. It leaves you questioning your own childhood, decisions you made, and where you stand as an adult.  The way you perceive things changes drastically from childhood to adulthood and Neil portrays that beautifully through this fantastical story.  He takes you on a journey that is unforgettable.  It's fun and quirky, yet underneath the surface it delivers a powerful message that everyone can relate to.  Take a few days and read this book.  It will inspire you :)

Best, Alysia

No comments:

Post a Comment