Pages

Friday, August 15, 2014

The Raven Dreams (Excerpt)

“Are you ready?” she asks, a full smile spreading over her face now.

“For what?” I ask in confusion.

To answer, Talvy draws a long sword of her own, larger than the one I picked, and shining gold in the limited light peeking through the clouds. Motioning for me to do the same, she takes a few steps back to prepare for one- on-one. She can’t be serious???


“Shouldn’t I practice with someone more at my level?” I ask in a raised voice so she can hear me over the wind.

She stands, unmoving, feet grounded prepared to take a hit. “Give me your best shot!” she says encouragingly. This is wrong in so many ways. I look around and see some of the neighboring Vitalists have taken notice of Talvy and myself. She must know she is drawing attention.

“Come on, Eva!” she pesters playfully. I’ve never seen this side of her. People are definitely watching now, heads turning from their own practice to look at us.

Since I see no way out of this without publicly offending Talvy, I center my energy until I feel the earth’s warmth throughout my body. With the strange weather about us, I decide to contribute my own. 

Once my mind is made up, hail shoots from they sky suddenly, as large as boulders, directly above 
where Talvy stands.

She reacts quickly blocking and dodging each one with ease. One quick swipe of her sword and she 
sends another shattering to the ground in a million pieces where it melts into the dirt. Just as quickly, she fires back at me. A whirlwind of air and particles engulfs me, almost lifting me into the air. The strength it has is alarming and I’m being assaulted by the rocks and sticks that rise from the ground inside the mini tornado.

Determined to free myself from this trap, I react naturally. From head to foot my body bursts into flame until I’m covered in my own conjured firelight. Slowly the tornados spin dissolves into nothing from the heat waves and I’m able to stand in control again, my body returning to its normal state.

Whoa! That’s new.

Talvy’s eyes twinkle with pleasure. “Well done!” she exclaims. “Now raise your sword. I want to see how well you handle it.” I do as she says, my confidence a little higher now, and she comes at me, sword raised at shoulder height.

Everyone around us has stopped what they are doing to watch, apparently interested in seeing Talvy in action. It is enticing to watch. She looks like a warrior angel, her movements are flawless and fluid but her attacks are harsh. I watch her approach and ready my sword in both hands, heart pounding with anticipation. Steel meets steel as she brings her swords down and I meet it with my own midway. I push against her with all my strength sure that she isn’t using all of her power because if she was, I would be sliced in two already.

I duck out from under her hold and dart around to her back, thrusting my sword to her side so I won’t puncture her, but close enough to show I would have made a hit. She turns and rebounds on me in a fit of laughter. I try with all my might to block her. We go on like this for a while, the surrounding Vitalists now cheering and applauding at our show. Finally Talvy calls the practice to an end, sheathing her sword and looking at me in amazement.

“You have a talent with that sword, young lady,” she says proudly once she’s close enough for only me to hear.

I can’t help but grin, the adrenaline running through my blood. Everyone is still cheering. I spot Isaak among the faces. He gives me a big smile and two thumbs up.

“What is going on here?” Thrae’s voice bellows from beyond the crowd. I don’t see him, but I would know the sounds of his deep drones anywhere. The Vitalists part a path for him as he pushes through. 

When he sees Talvy, anger turns to rage. “What are you doing?!?!”

Talvy retains composure. “She didn’t have a partner so I helped her practice,” she says nonchalantly. 

Thrae looks around as if realizing for the first time there are hundreds of onlookers. He bites his tongue and takes a deep breath.

“I see,” he responds more calmly, shooting me a mean look. “Next time she is to partner with a Vitalist on her level, just like everyone else. No special treatment.” He turns on his heels and is gone as quick as he came.

“There’s nothing to see here!” Talvy announces. “Please return to your practice.” Vitalists reluctantly break away into their teams and resume practice. Then she turns to me, resting her hand on my shoulder. “You did really well, Eva.” Her face falls and she looks saddened by something. “You will be fine, just have faith in your abilities and remember what I told you, alright?”


I nod, my mind in a haze. She gives me one last pat on the shoulder, looking at me like my mother used to. It makes me a little uncomfortable so I pretend not to notice, looking down at my feet until she’s walking away. I watch her leave, wondering what she meant and why it mad her so sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment